Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 10th, Pardubice to Chrudim to Velke Losiny

Thursday, June 10th
Pardubice to Chrudim to Velke Losiny

Today we were in search of Marionettes, and found them at the top of another mountain!  It is still extremely hot!  I almost didn't want to climb the mountain because of it!  It was a good thing that I looked it up on the Internet and wrote it down before we headed out.  No one spoke English in Chrudim!  And the Marionette Museum was actually called "Loutkarskych Muzeum".  I showed my piece of paper to a lady at the bottom of the hill, and she walked out of her shop and up the street with me to show me that I had to go to the top of the hill to find the museum.   She seemed excited to know that I was looking for their museum.  After I got to the top of the hill, I had to ask in another shop.  That person pointed me in the right direction on top of the hill.  If I had not had my piece of paper, we would have walked right past the museum without ever knowing it.  I would not have known that the sign on the door meant Marionette Museum!  It was pretty interesting, and Lonnie and I tried our hands at working with a Marionette on a big stage like they had in "The Sound of Music".  It was fun!  (But a tough climb up the flights of stairs in the hot museum).  The Museum closed at noon for lunch, so by the time we were finished going through it, the doors to the gift shop were locked.  We were going to leave town, but saw a Pizzeria and decided to get something to eat.  We ordered a Pepperoni Pizza (yes, Peyton, you know what is coming) - knowing that it really meant green peppers, not pepperoni, as we know it,  and found that we had ordered the hottest pepper pizza.  I finally ordered a Hawaiian Pizza (ham and pineapple) then walked back up the hill to purchase some souvenirs at the Museum before traveling on.   The woman was so excited to see that I had come back.  I picked some things out, then was looking at the books to see if any had English.  I didn't ask because we had already established the fact that we could not communicate (even in German!).   All of a sudden the woman realized that I was looking intently at the books and shouted (I could see the light bulb go on in her head) "English"!  She ran over to her cabinet and brought out a book in English!  You could tell that all of the time I had been there she had been trying to figure out what language I was speaking.  Because we do not have a Northeastern accent, most people cannot tell where we are from, and do not usually consider the US.  I have to say, sometimes that is helpful that they don't know where we are from.  So many Americans come over here and act like total jerks that I prefer not to be placed in that category.  My opinion has always been that if you are visiting a foreign country, then expect it to be different!!  Don't expect them to act like Americans and cater to your every whim!  Okay, so much for my preaching!

Next we drove to Velke Losiny in search of a Zamek (castle/chateau) that we stumbled across three years ago when we were here.  They had been working on it and I wanted to see what they had accomplished!  It turns out that it is not in Velke Losiny after all.   We did manage to get a room at the Hotel Diana Spa Hotel, there, tho.  Unfortunately, it stayed light until around 11PM - then was light again by 4AM, so we didn't get much sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment