Tuesday, June 15, 2010

June 14th, Tatranska Javorina to Rajecke Teplice, Slovakia

Monday, June 14
Tatranska Javorina to Rajecke Teplice, Slovakia

Today was another long, long driving day across Slovakia. The day
started early with sunlight streaming through the window way before it
should have. Lonnie got up and adjusted the curtains (but I guess he
also looked at the mountains at the same time - I didn't), then went
back to bed. Later we were awakened by some of the loudest thunder and
whistling wind. It was raining and the mountains were socked in, so I
still didn't see them. It was so peaceful there, that I didn't want to
get up and leave. We had a leisurely breakfast in the glassed in area
so that we could see the mountains and the rain - and the lightning.
Lonnie kept saying "Wow!" every time there was a lightning strike. The
people at the next table kept staring at us. They probably wondered if
Lonnie had never seen lightning before. By the time that we actually
got ready to leave, I was able to see the snow-capped mountains in the
distance. Then we began a long drive through the mountains. Lonnie had
planned the drive so that we could see the mountains all day -
unfortunately, what we saw was mainly clouds. We drove through the
mountains and then on to another town that is supposed to be famous for
their painted houses - Cicmany. I have to say that they were
interesting. We met the couple who run the gift shop - it's not open
yet - and they spoke English. She rounded up her toddler, then opened
the gift shop so we could have a look. It was definitely to her
advantage, as we bought several things there. Now, if we can only get
them home without breaking them!

As we drove through the mountains, we passed into Poland again just for
a brief time. I have to say, I think that we found the Gatlinburg of
Poland! There may have even been more hotels there than at Gatlinburg.
There were only a couple of gift shops though. They are really missing
out on a good opportunity! And, Curtis, we have found the place for you
and Josie to come. The big thing over here is Water Park Hotels! We
filmed one of the smaller ones for you to see. Apparently there is a
huge Water Park Hotel in a nearby city. The other big thing is
"Wellness" or "Spa" hotels. We have stayed in several of those. The
Lord blessed us with another fantastic hotel tonight. If we had not met
the couple that spoke English, we would not have known where to go to
find a hotel. It was getting late, and we were literally in the middle
of nowhere!! There were no hotels in the town with the painted houses,
and we knew there were no other towns nearby. There are a few little
villages scattered here and there, but they didn't have hotels either.
The tourist season doesn't start here until June 26th, so a lot of
places are not open yet. After talking to the girl at the gift shop, we
found that the direction we had planned to travel would have nothing
(and did I say that it was getting very late), so we went to the town
that she told us to go to (even though it was the opposite direction).
The hotel that the Lord sent us to tonight is another "wellness hotel" -
and I told Lonnie that I think it is the first hotel I have stayed in
that provided a robe and slippers for it's guests to wear. The view
from our balcony is a great one - mountains, again. And, the food was
absolutely delicious! I had Pork with grilled vegetables and garlic
rosti. Lonnie had the "Thief's Skewer" which was grilled meats. He
said it was excellent, also!

Tomorrow we will hopefully find our way out of Slovakia. I still don't
feel as comfortable here as I have in other places. I do feel better
about where we are tonight, tho, and I felt good at another town where
we stopped at the mall. That was pretty funny! In most countries we
are able to converse in English, or use our smattering of Deutsch to
communicate. Well, in Slovakia, most people don't know either
language. I was trying to figure out if a dish at the mall was chicken
or shrimp. It is hard to tell from the pictures sometimes. We were
getting absolutely nowhere in determining that. Finally Lonnie started
clucking like a chicken and I flapped my wings. The girl understood
and told me which dishes had chicken on them. It was pretty funny,but I
got chicken to eat!

We have seen some "Gypsy" trailers here and there since we crossed into
Slovakia (but no one in them). They are just parked out in the fields,
awaiting better weather or vacation time, I guess. And Lonnie told me
to let you know that we were on some cow-paths yesterday, because he saw
the "cow patties". Today it was still narrow roads winding up and down
mountain-sides. Lord willing, tomorrow we will find the castle where a
true "vampire" lived, then travel on Westward into Austria - and "The
Sound of Music" country (my favorite movie!)

No comments:

Post a Comment