Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 11th, Velke Losiny to Oswiecim (Auschwitz)

Friday, June 11
Velke Losiny to Oswiecim (Auschwitz)


Well, after being awakened early by the hot sun shining on us, we headed out in search of our Zamek again.   We finally found it in a little town about 6 km from Velke Losiny.  Little had been done to the castle, but they had built a building to tell about it (not open yet), fenced it all in, and totally cleaned up the grounds and little lakes to make it into beautiful gardens.  Once they are finished, it will be really something to see! 

After that, we spent most of the day on the road, traveling backroads to Auschwitz, where we are staying at the same hotel we stayed at 3 years ago.  It is very nice,but no air conditioning and lots of mosquitos this time.  I am sure that it is from the recent flooding.  The hotel was not flooded, but the girl who works here said that some of the other workers'  houses were flooded.  Auschwitz Concentration Camp is once again open, but I will probably not go through it again.  I am hoping for a flea market, tho :-) .  We'll see.

I forgot to tell you that I had my best Polish dish so far.  It was their "Old Recipe Polish Borscht" (white borscht).  We had it last time - and it was just as delicious this time!  Now I just need to find a recipe . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment