Saturday, June 19, 2010

Salzburg, Austria to Oberammergau, Germany

Friday, June 18
Salzburg, Austria to Oberammergau, Germany

Guess What! My sweet husband took me into Salzburg today before we left
so that we could take a Carriage Ride in Old Town. It was lovely! The
weather was nice, our horses were good, and the ride through Old Town
was terrific! After we finished, as we were going to the Parking
Garage, I stopped to get some Mozart Chocolates (the first chocolates I
have bought since arriving in Europe). Once again, I was starving, so I
also ordered some ham and eggs. As I was eating, it began to rain. By
the time we were ready to go to the Garage, it was raining pretty hard.
But we were very close, and had our trusty raincoats (thanks, Bass Pro),
so everything was good! I have to say that I am so glad we purchased
raincoats and rainpants before leaving Memphis. When it came a downpour
in Rome, we pulled them out of the backpack, put them on and kept
going. Everyone else was running for cover. It was like having Rome
all to ourselves! We just wore them again when we went out to eat. It
is still raining - the temperature was shorts weather in Salzburg this
morning, and is now winter coat weather in Oberammergau. When we got to
our hotel room tonight Lonnie turned the heat on! (Side note: I have
to tell you a funny story - We had several nights when it was really hot
and the hotels did not have air conditioning. We could not open the
windows as we normally would because there is a terrible mosquito
problem in Europe this year. The windows do not have screens, and
always in the past, we have just left the windows open all of the time
with no problem. Anyway, Lonnie got so tired of being hot that we went
to a mall and bought two fans. It has been cool ever since! I told him
that he should have bought those fans on the first day!! Now someone
will get some nice, new fans when we come home next week - they won't
work in the States. Whatever it takes to stay cool!!)

We drove through the rain all day. The mountains are beautiful - we're
in the Bavarian Alps now. I love the ruins in Rome, and I love Tuscany,
and I love the old windmills and flowers in the Netherlands - but I
absolutely love the Alps in Austria, Germany and Switzerland!! We had
to pull over and sleep at one point. I was tired and had just dozed off
(which I almost never do in the car while Lonnie is driving), when I
realized that Lonnie had pulled into a rest area. Next thing I knew, we
were both out. We slept for a little while then kept going. I wasn't
sure if we should go through Oberammergau or not. This is the year of
the Passion Play. It is only performed every ten years, and is a major
production. Most of the town is involved in one way or another. Men
grow their beards for months in advance, and the townspeople practice
for a long time. We found a hotel on the outskirts of town, and plan to
do a walk-through the town before leaving tomorrow. The hotel does not
have a restaurant, so the owner recommended a Pizzeria at the top of the
hill. We went there, and it was very good. I didn't want to have to
drive downtown right now. We did find out, tho, that the Passion Play
is not over until 10:30PM tonight, so it probably would have been okay.

Not sure where we will go next. I thought that a town near here had a
Toy Museum and a Woodturning Museum, but as I was looking for the
addresses this morning, I realized that the town I needed (and thought I
was putting on the route) is actually on the Czech Republic border. So
. . .it will have to wait for another trip. We are winding down now and
headed in the direction of Zurich. We are supposed to be at the airport
at 3AM on Thursday. We are stopping by the airport tomorrow or the next
day to see what our luggage limit is, and to see if we can change that
leg of the flight. It's not that I bought too many souvenirs - it's
just that I like big things! Also, I bought DVDs at several places, and
they take up a lot of room (along with the books that I always buy).

Anyway, we will see where we end up! Tschuss for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment